To commemorate 400 years since William Shakespeare’s death, Dr. Louise Wilson, Lecturer in Medieval and Early Modern Literature, has been delving into the treasures of Special Collections to share with you some of the books we hold here at Liverpool Hope University that Shakespeare would have been very familiar with. Abraham Ortelius. Theatrum orbis terrarum (Theatre […]

Cataloguing books may be perceived, by those unable to appreciate the cathartic pleasure to be gained from logical ordering and close attention to detail, as being quite boring. I admit, it can be monotonous but just occasionally something may happen to alleviate the boredom. Keith Trickey, one of our temporary cataloguers in Special Collections, made an […]

Breeches Bible, 1582

In September 2015, The Sheppard-Worlock Library’s Special Collections received, on long-term loan, a Geneva or ‘Breeches’ Bible belonging to St. Bridget’s in West Kirby. It is a 1582 reprint by Christopher Barker of the 1577 edition. The ‘Breeches’ Bible is so-called after the use of the word in the translation of Genesis 3:7 in the […]

July marks the end of the academic year, results are out and undergraduate students have either left for the summer or are waiting to celebrate their academic achievements with friends and family at graduation. The Sheppard-Worlock Library is decidedly quieter after the hubbub of the year gone-by but it is also the time for welcoming […]

The year 2015 marks the 500th anniversary of the death of the great printer and publisher Aldus Manutius (c. 1449-1515), an Italian humanist scholar who founded the Aldine Press at Venice in 1494. His publishing legacy includes scholarly editions of classical authors, the introduction of italic type, and the development of books in small formats […]

For the Sheppard-Worlock Library’s Advent calender 2014 we asked international students and staff how they celebrate during the festive season. Dr. Gergely Juhasz, Lecturer in Theology and Biblical Studies at Liverpool Hope hails from Hungary. In Hungary, and in many other European countries, it is customary to eat Pork on New Year’s Day as it […]

Continuing our theme of asking our international students and staff how they celebrate Christmas, today we hear from Professor Mehmet Dorak, Professor in Health Sciences. Professor Dorak is from Turkey but has been in the UK for more than 20 years. He explains that whilst Christmas isn’t observed in Turkey, he has embraced some British traditions: […]